Stuffed Horikawa Burdock Root
Last updated: 08/07 Category: Official Recipes
A fresh spring dish with fish meat paste stuffed inside a soft burdock root.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1/4 Horikawa burdock root
- 50g ground chicken
- 100g raw minced fish mashed into paste (Surimi)
- 12 snow peas
- 20ml Dashi stock
- 10g rice bran
- 5ml light soy sauce
300ml Dashi stock
50ml light soy sauce
- (1) Soak the Horikawa burdock root in water for a while, then scrub away any remaining mud with a srubbing brush. Then place the roots in a pot along with rice bran, and water (amount not included in recipe) and let it cook for about 40 minutes until soft.
- (2) Rinse the burdock root from (1) and boil again in fresh clean water to remove any remaining bran odor, then drain and save the water this time. Remove strings of snow peas and rinse.
- (3) Put ground chicken and Surimi in an earthenware mortar and grind into a paste. Add light soy sauce, and dashi stock to adjust firmness.
- (4) Remove the core part of the burdock root from (1) to make a hole. Sprinkle flour inside the hole, then fill with Surimi paste from (3).
- (5) In a pot add (4) and (A), then cover with a paper towel and cook over low heat. At the end, add the snow peas into the pot. Once the snow peas are cooked turn off heat and let it cool. (6) Cut the burdock root into bite-sizes and place in a serving bowl. Deorate with the cooked snow peas.