Shogoin Daikon Simmered with Fried Tofu
Last updated: 10/30 Category: Official Recipes
A mellow Obanzai (Kyoto-style) dish with daikon radish and fried tofu
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1/2 Shogoin Daikon radish
- 1 sheet Aburaage (fried tofu)
- 2 Kujo green onions
- Small amount of Shichimi Togarashi (blend of seven spices)
- 400ml Dashi stock
40ml light soy sauce
Salt, to taste
- (1) Thickly peel the Shogoin Daikon radish, cut into easy-to-eat pieces and cut an X with a knife on the bottom.
- (2) Divide the fried tofu into 8 equal pieces.
- (3) In a pot, put the Dashi stock, and the Daikon radish (1) and let boil over medium heat. Once the Daikon radish is soft, add the fried tofu (2), and all ingredients from (A) and slowly incorporate and adjust the flavor.
- (4) Cut the Kujo green onions into 3cm lengths, add to (3) to lightly cook, then quickly remove pot from heat.
- (5) Arrange the Daikon radish, fried tofu, and green onions onto a plate, and sprinkle with Shichimi Togarashi spice on top.